National Oral Health Statistics
- • 31.7 per cent of rural residents have untreated decay compared to 24.8 per cent of urban residents
- • 32.8 per cent of rural residents have moderate to severe periodontal (gum) disease compared to 26.1 per cent of urban residents
- • Of the dentate population, 18.5 per cent of rural residents have fewer than 21 teeth compared to 13.8 per cent of urban residents.
- • Child Dental Health Survey (2009) shows that 51% of 6 year olds and 45% of 12 year old children have dental decay
- • 33% of residents in remote/very remote areas received a tooth extraction in the previous 12 months, compared with 12.1% in major cities